reading: Joyce1 Notes on Failure
Research Studio for Transplant Students SAIC FA2013
September 18th HOMEWORK
Reading/Activity/Response: An Exercise in Looking and Listening
- READ chapter 1 “Modernity and the Problem of the Observer” from Techniques of the Observer by Jonathan Cary and excerpt from The Critique Handbook (see links above)
- GO to Art Expo event at least once this weekend–Friday, Saturday, or Sunday
- BRING at least 2 (up to 6) recording devices–including digital camera and sketchbook with mark making tools
- RECORD take photos of 3 things that you like and 3 things that you hate for a TOTAL of 6 things
- OBSERVE practice your eavesdropping skills–your thoughts and others–by listening in on conversations, writing drawing, video taping . What are people saying during and after the event? What are you thinking about? What reverences come up–art and non art conversations? Try to go to some after parties!
- Write a one page critical Blog entry to our class blog USING the images (video etc) you shot for visual evidence and the eavesdropping notes you took. Also refer to readings (blog password: ch33syartthings)
Also look at http://www.fountainartfair.com/ for more events related to the Expo at Navy Pier
Art blog references Hyperallergic, ArtSlant, Art 21 blog,
Aug 28th Reading and homework
Think about the ideas we talked about in class — Cognitive Dissonance, cultural obsession with the material world, relational aesthetics, collecting, purging etc… and prepare a brief presentation —by any creative means necessary!!!–around a personal object or physical image. Your presentation will be informed partially by the readings and partially by your own point of view, experiences, etc.
Read What Do Objects Want? via link below
Also, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance and stop by the library to look at the Critique Handbook by Kendall Buster & Paula Crawford
Pleas email me if you have any questions or concerns!! firstname.lastname@example.org
WJT Mitchell from What do Pictures Want?
An essay titled The Work of Art in the Age of Biocybernetic Reproduction
John Berger Ways of Seeing Chapter 1 excerpt
A New History of Photography Excerpt
Italo Calvino The Adventure of the Photographer
Filed under: Uncategorized | Leave a Comment